The 39th Street Church of Christ is a congregation of people who desire simply to be Christians. We believe and practice the teachings of the New Testament to the very best of our ability out of love for God (John 14:15; Colossians 3:17). Our worship is simple, from the heart and according to God’s will (John 4:23-24). We plan our worship to be reasonable, dignified, ordered and controlled by our knowledge of the Word of God. Our emphasis is on His Word.
We try to be an uncomplicated people. Our worship is patterned after the church revealed in the New Testament (John 14:15). As such you will find that in accordance with God’s Word:
* We will have prayer together (Acts 2:42)
* We will sing songs in worship of God (Colossians 3:16; Ephesians 5:19)
* We will have a lesson in which we teach God’s Word (Acts 2:42; 20:7)
* We will have the opportunity on each Sunday to give as we have been prospered (1 Corinthians 16:1-2). If you are visiting with us, you are free to give, but are not expected to do so.
* We will partake of the Lord’s Supper each Sunday (Acts 20:7)
We are a completely autonomous church. We are not controlled, guided, nor governed, either directly or indirectly, by any other group, office or religious body. In accordance with God’s Word we have an eldership comprised of men who meet the qualifications given in God’s Word (1 Timothy 3:1-8) who oversee the work of the congregation. We do encourage every member to be involved in the work and worship of the congregation to the best of their ability so that the church can benefit from that which each member provides (Ephesians 4:16).
We appreciate all who visit with us and encourage all to be noble and search the scriptures concerning the things that are practiced and taught (Acts 17:11). We stand ready to study any questions with you that you may have.